Monday, October 1, 2007

Religion

Lots of people feel compelled to succeed in life. They are pushed ever forward by the desire to be the best they can. And why not? Religious people often say that the most pious thing a person can do is to use fully the gifts given to them by God. You show God appreciation for your gift by using it. After all, God went to a whole bunch of trouble picking out a talent that suits every person on the planet, and that's a huge effort.

On the other hand, if the talent is ours, if it truly is a gift from God, then it's ours to do with as we wish. Gifts with strings attached are not much fun to receive.

My friend Alan once gave me a croquet set. It was a really nice set including a durable storage rack with wheels. After I unwrapped it he stood there shifting his weight from one foot to the other -- that expectant posture communicating, "Okay, I'm ready for mine." But I didn't have a gift for Alan and he got all bent out of shape. For the rest of the party he just sulked by the fireplace and spoke only to guests who gave him a gift. I'd be really surprised if God acted like that.

No comments: