Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Speed

Einstein got his idea for the Theory of Relativity when riding the train one morning to his job at the patent office. On a whim he imagined that the train moved at the speed of light. The trip to his office normally took several minutes to make as it crossed a large city square. But at the speed of light, he realized, it would take less than a second to get to his destination. So if he looked at his watch at the moment he arrived at work, the second hand would not have moved –no time would have passed since he began his journey. Einstein realized that man's concept of time was relative after traveling at speed of light in his imagination. That's also why his hair was permanently messed up.

My friend Alan drives fast. He says that it's simply because he's got so much to do. But speeding is breaking the law and I think it's wrong. I asked him when we were driving to go bowling once why all the time he was tailgating other motorists. He just laughed and asked, "Motorists!? Do you think of yourself as a motorist when you're driving? When I'm driving, I'm still Alan."

By the time he finished what he was saying I forgot what I had asked him. Bowling was fun though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I'm driving, I always refer to myself as a motorist. When people call me, I say, "Can't talk now. I'm a motorist."